Call Toll-Free 800-300-2300

Common damages victims can pursue after a car accident

Many car accident victims suffer serious injuries that affect them for years after the accident. In addition to the physical pain and emotional trauma, they may also struggle to pay for the costly medical treatments they need. If an accident victim in Long Beach chooses to file a personal injury lawsuit against the negligent party, he or she may be able to pursue both economic and non-economic damages.

Economic damages refer to damages that stem from actual financial loss and are generally easy to verify with bills or receipts. Medical expenses, particularly for victims with severe injuries, may include physical therapy, ambulance fees, medications, treatments, rehabilitation and other medical costs. You may pursue damages for medical expenses that you have already incurred, as well as future medical expenses for any treatments you will likely need in the future.

As you recover from your injuries, you may find that you are unable to work. In more serious cases, accident victims may find that they are physically or mentally unable to return to the jobs they had prior to the accident. These victims may seek damages to cover their lost wages and loss of earning capacity both in the past and in the future.

A number of accident victims also recover non-economic damages. Non-economic damages are often subjective and do not stem from actual financial loss. Victims may pursue non-economic damages for pain and suffering, emotional distress, loss of enjoyment of life and loss of companionship. There are multiple factors used to determine how much to award. For example, with regards to pain and suffering, the amount a victim receives will often depend on the nature and extent of their injuries.

Both economic and non-economic damages can provide much needed financial support for victims and their families. A personal injury attorney may be able to evaluate your case and determine how much you could potentially recover if you file a claim.

Source: FindLaw, "What Kinds of Damages May I Claim for Car Accident Injuries?," accessed March 5, 2018

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Call Toll-Free 1-800-300-2300
Email Us For A Response

Don't Wait To Get The Help You Need Get Started Now

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Our Offices

Long Beach Office
301 E. Ocean Blvd.
Ste. 1700
Long Beach, CA 90802-8812

Toll Free: 800-300-2300
Phone: 562-485-9376
Fax: 562-624-1178
Long Beach Law Office Map

Costa Mesa Office
600 Anton Blvd. 11th Floor
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Toll Free: 800-300-2300
Phone: 562-485-9376
Fax: 562-624-1178
Costa Mesa Law Office Map